Hello, and welcome to the private practice website of Dr. Kate Kaplan. I am on the clinical faculty at Stanford University and a practicing psychologist with offices in Palo Alto and Menlo Park, CA. I specialize in the treatment of sleep difficulties such as insomnia, anxiety and stress, and mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder. I practice evidence-based treatments supported by scientific research. These treatments are generally brief and provide sustained relief from distress. My approach to treatment is warm and collaborative; together we set goals and work to achieve them.
I received my PhD in clinical psychology from the University of California Berkeley and completed a postdoctoral fellowship at Stanford School of Medicine where I specialized in evidence-based treatments for depression, anxiety and sleep. I have ten years of experience providing psychotherapy across a variety of settings, including hospitals, community clinics, university medical centers and as part of federally-funded research programs.
Areas of Expertise:
- Sleep difficulties, including insomnia, hypersomnia, nightmares and circadian rhythm disorders
- Anxiety disorders, including panic disorder, generalized anxiety, social anxiety and specific phobias
- Stress and burnout
- Trauma and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Depression and Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBTI), Imagery Rehearsal Therapy (IRT) and chronotherapy for sleep difficulties
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) for anxiety, depression and bipolar disorder
- Prolonged Exposure (PE) and Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) for PTSD and trauma
The decision to begin therapy can be difficult to make, and I hope this website helps in that process. To read more about my background and my work, please click here.